"And invoke not besides Allah any that will neither profit you nor hurt you, but if (in case)
you did so, you shall certainly be one of theZalimun
touches you with hurt,
there is none who can remove it but He; and if He intends any good for
you, there is none who can repel His Favour which He causes it to reach whomsoever of His
slaves He will. And He is the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
And He said:
"You worship besides Allah only idols, and you only invent falsehood. Verily, those whom
you worship besides Allah have no power to give you provision, so seek your provision from
Allah (Alone) and worship Him (Alone), and be grateful to Him. To Him (Alone) you will be
He the Almighty said:
"And who is more astray than one who calls (invokes) besides Allah, such as will not answer
him till the Day of Resurrection; and who are (even) unaware of their calls (invocations) to them?
And when mankind are gathered (on the Day of Resurrection), they (false deities) will become
enemies for them and will deny their worshipping."
Allah, the Most Exalted said:
"Is not He Who responds to the distressed one, when he calls Him; and Who removes the
evil, and makes you inheritors of the earth, generations after generations? Is there any god with
Allah? Little is that you remember!"
At- Tabarani narrates with hisIsnad (chain of the narrators):
During the days of the Prophet (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) there was
a hypocrite who used to harm the believers, some of them (the believers) said, "Come (support)
with us while we appeal to Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him)
for assistance against this hypocrite." The Prophet (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon
him) replied, "Verily, no one should seek to me for assistance. Indeed, it is Allah Who is to be
sought for assistance and help."
Important issues of the Chapter
1) To attach supplication or invocation(Du'a) with seeking assistance (Istighatha) through
conjunction is to attach a general matter to one which is specific.
2) Explanation of the verse:
"And invoke not besides Allah any that will neither profit you nor hurt you..." (10: 106).
3) This is the greaterShirk.
4) The most pious person, if he calls for help other than Allah, even for the gratification of
someone else, he will become one of theZalimun (wrong-doers, polytheists).
5) Explanation of the verse following (10: 107).
6) Calling others for help besides Allah is of no benefit in this world and besides that it is
7) Explanation of the Verse 29: 17.
8) Requesting sustenance and provisions should be done to none other than from Allah. Just as
Paradise can be requested from none other than Him.
9) Explanation of the fourth Verse 46:5.
10) There is none more misguided than the one who calls on others than Allah.
11) To whom the call is made (besides Allah) is unaware of the supplications of the caller; he
knows nothing about it.
12) That call will be the cause of anger and enmity of the one called towards the caller.
13) The call is named as worship of the one called on.
14) The one called upon will deny and reject this act of worship towards him.
15) This is why such a supplicant is the most astray of the people.
16) Explanation of the fifth Verse 27: 62.
17) Astonishing is the admission of idolaters that none relieves the one in distress other than
Allah. That is why, they call upon Him in times of extreme difficulty with the utmost
18) The protection of the Chosen One (May Allah be pleased with him) means the protection ofTauhid and being mindful towards Allah.